Hello U3A Members,
New Year greetings to you all, and on behalf of the committee I hope you have had a relaxing and refreshing break and are looking forward to attending new and continuing courses at U3A Wangaratta.
There are just a few items for your information.
Annual General Meeting
- A reminder that all members are welcome to attend our AGM on Wednesday 29th January 2020 at 9am for a 9.30am start in the Maple Room (the former Oaks Room on the ground floor where we attended last year’s AGM). Our guest speaker will be Ms Ilena Young, Centre Manager of the Charles Sturt Wangaratta Regional Study Centre who will talk about the future of education. AGM business includes confirmation of the previous AGM minutes, president and treasurer reports, election of office bearers and ordinary committee members for 2020, and confirmation of the yearly enrolment fee. Tea and coffee are provided and it is a great opportunity to chat with facilitators and other members.
- Nomination forms – According to our Constitution any member is welcome to nominate for a position on our Committee. Nomination forms are attached and if you intend nominating your form should be lodged with the Secretary at least seven days prior to the AGM (by 22nd January 2020) by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail: PO Box 90, Wangaratta Vic 3676.
ALL committee positions are open to nominations. If the number of persons nominated exceeds the number to be elected, a ballot will be held at the AGM.
- Proxy forms – a member may appoint another member as a proxy for the meeting (see attached). This form should be given to the President or Secretary at the AGM before or at the start of the meeting. A proxy form sent by post or electronically is of no effect unless it is received by the Secretary no later than 24 hours before the start of the AGM meeting.
Payment of enrolment choices at the AGM are by cash, cheque, or bank deposit forms will be available – our annual fee remains at $50.00. Members can pay by electronic transfer at any time as per the following:-
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Account Name: U3A Wangaratta Inc
- BSB: 063 531
- Account Number 00905478
- Please ensure you type your last name in the reference field.
For those members who last year paid a $10 affiliation fee with other U3A organisations please note you are required to pay the full $50 fee in 2020 if you continue attending classes at Wangaratta.
Handling of cash
Members are invited to bring cash or cheque to the AGM to enrol on 29th January 2020 but the Committee has decided that for security reasons and because of our larger membership we will no longer be collecting cash at our meeting room but will offer payment either by electronic transfer or bank deposit. The only exception to be made is when a member finds it extremely difficult for health reasons to get to a bank, in which case alternative arrangements can be made.
Change of Course Coordinator
Erica Pike has generously offered to take up the role of Course Coordinator this year. Her contact details are: Mobile: 0400 945 726 or email: email@example.com
Training Day for Smart TV
Kerry has offered to facilitate another training day on the smart television, dvd player, laptop, vcr player and logitech speakers. All members may attend but facilitators are especially encouraged to come along and take some notes. It will be held on Thursday 30th January at 10.00am in the meeting room.
New Courses Semester 1 2020
We are pleased to offer three new courses:- International Relations with Laurence Neal, “21 Lessons for 21st Century” with John van Riet, and a slight change to the old Travellers Tales with the introduction of a course called Traveller & Culture Tales with Robin Herry.
Be Connected Update
This has been a very successful program for our members to become more skilled and confident using online devices and we thank those many members who participated and of course contributed to our being able to obtain a $2,000 grant, which helped buy our new Smart TV! A big thank you also to our three program supervisors:- Joyce Widdows, Cheryl Hoysted and Maree McCudden for their generous offers of assistance, and especially Kerry Andison for working so hard to help it all run smoothly.